Terraced house is located in the Sydney suburb of Northbridge, on the northern side of the peninsula with north-westerly views over Sailors Bay and Mowbray Point.
Terraced house was designed as the city home for a farming family from Western NSW. Familiar with open spaces and outdoor living the owners were looking for a home with strong connections to the outdoors. They were comfortable with a contemporary design that offered a generous outdoor terrace to enjoy the water views and entertain family and friends.
The building form is perceived as simple white cantilevered rectilinear elements of varying thickness projecting from the side contrasted with timber batten screens and Zinc cladding. A combination of single and double height spaces and large skylights encourages natural light deep into the interior.
Sandstone landscape walls reference the idea of building into the site, while building materials are kept to a simple neutral palette.
- To achieve the accommodation brief for the house within building height and floor area restrictions, the design required spaces that cut into as well as projected from the site. The concept of the terraced house evolved as a means of connecting lower level interior living spaces to outdoor spaces by forming a series of level flat areas on the sloping site.
- The form of Terraced house required significant removal of sandstone from the site. Stone was carefully cut and removed in reusable blocks for landscaping retaining walls at locations nearby.
- High retaining walls were reduced in impact through terracing, planting, and screening. A glass edged swimming pool assists in the main courtyard.
- High-performance glazing including some double glazed larger units.
- Externally insulated solid masonry construction that provides a large amount of thermal mass.
- External operable louvers to control the westerly sun.
- Sunken courtyards to the north and south of the lounge and study spaces allow natural cross-ventilation.
Design: Darren Campbell, Tom Velich
Builder: A J Anderson Building
Engineer: Partridge Partners
Landscaping: Kate Mitchell Design
Site area: 802.5m2
Type: New houses
Design, documentation: Completed 2016
Construction: Commenced 2016